Monday, July 27, 2009

Weaning lil Josh

Signs of being ready:

1. He started showing interest in the food that I eat about a week ago, spot on at 5 months old. He made it very clear as his eyes would trail the food that left the table to my mouth.

2. He is able to sit up well now with support. It is getting easier to bathe him now. He isn't as soft and wriggly as before. When I place him in the bath tub horizontally, he is able to sit upright leaning against the tub.

3. At first, I attributed his excessive crying to separation anxiety. He would turn around and look at whoever who is carrying him. However, he seems to be constantly hungry, even after a feed.

4. Everything that he can grab hold of is tucked into his mouth immediately. He loves to suck his big toe too!
Progress: He has had nestle's rice and soya cereal for a week. I started with an evening snack, just two teaspoonfuls. Then, I gradually increased it to two meals a day. We introduced mashed boiled sweet potato today which he loved. He took to food like duck to water, always trying to grab hold of the spoon to feed himself. Sometimes, he gets frustrated and starts crying inconsolably if things don't go his way. That would be the end of the feeding session, sigh. The introduction to solids has affected his digestive system. He hasn't had a poo for 2 days now.
Teething: Yesterday morning, he developed a slight fever which came and left in an instant. He has been putting his fist in his mouth. My sleeves would be drenched by his dribbles. I am just waiting for the first tooth to emerge.

No comments: